graphic design forum for indesign prepress forum
prepress forums - computer to plate - adobe indesign - quark xpress - graphic design forum
Your Profile Log In/Out
Products Publishers BackGround Consulting

graphic design forum for quark xpress prepress forums
Login with user and pass:
user name:
_pass word:
Auto Login?
C
M
Y
K

-
-

graphic design forum

Mac OS X Links

Quark Xpress Links

Adobe InDesign Links

Adobe Acrobat Links

Adobe Illustrator Links

Adobe Photoshop Links

PrePress PDF Links

Desktop Publishing

Print On Demand

Prepress Forum Forum Index -> Computer To Plate

Creo Bought OUT! Kodak to buy for About $980 Million!

Author    Thread
acrobat

Creo Buyout, Merger, Kodak Aquisition, I don't know everything that is going on with this but facts are emerging. We knew Creo was in trouble laying off and cutting back. Recently their stock was rated down a notch. In October, Creo said it was reviewing strategic alternatives, including acquisitions, alliances and the sale of all or parts of its business. In recent weeks, a dissident shareholder group that owns 5.8 per cent of Creo shares sought to nominate a slate of directors at an annual meeting in February to replace the company's management team.

The deal has been approved by each company's board of directors. Eastman Kodak announced Monday it would buy printing technology firm Creo Inc. for about $980 million in cash to bolster its strategy to push more aggressively into commercial offset printing supplies and equipment.

Kodak has been driving for a transition to digital products shifting focus from its declining traditional film business. Kodak will pay $16.50 a share for Creo. Creo's systems and equipment are of course industry leading in computer to plate imaging. Also, Creo has allot of good software after it Swallowed Scitex recently. Creo's strength is equipment to make plates used to print books, magazines and other printed products.

Although Creo is a great outfit, they had been struggling lately, laying off lots of folks. Sources are reporting the deal was backed by Creo's board and a dissident shareholder group eliciting the takeover by launching a proxy battle in October. Creo had hoped that a focus on software like insight and synapse would help. Creo also made a move to buy a metal plate manufacturing outfit, to try and capture a market share of printing CTP consumables.

But, Creo's plates were not getting much interest. Printers were hesitant to change from industry leading plate manufacturers like Fuji and Kodak. The plates couldn't be sold cheap enough to lure customers to a lesser proven product. Creo's synapse and insight products are not taking off as well as hoped either. The Insight server is great for what it does, it's just that most people are focussed to sending corrected, ready files and not doing all that revision online. The synapse prepare product is not a preflight product and uses reactive "postflight". So, I don't think it is going as well as Creo had hoped either. All Creo's products are good and they enjoy a solid following in the industry, it's just hard to stay ontop forever. I hope they don't get gutted and hosed by this Kodak deal.

Post Feb 01, 2005 3:25 pm 
Nimdar

Creo Bought OUT! Kodak to buys Creo, is Creo Dead or Alive?

Creo had recently entered the CTP consumables mix as a plate supplier. The Creo Positive Thermal Plate is manufactured under contract through third party manufacturers and Creo has acquired a plate production plant. The PTP is a positive thermal plate rated for runs of 250,000 without baking. I wonder if that move helped or hurt Creo? That was another direction they were going, consumables and software. Creo had already lead the industry in CTP hardware deployment and as that trend started to decline, now that we all have output devices now, Creo had started to focus toward software and consumables. They were leveraging their good name and strong customer following to these new evenue streams. Creo is a great outfit, I hope that Kodak doesn't blow them up and swallow them. Kodak also now owns Encad who has a very good new inkjet plotter the Encad 1000i. Seems like Kodak has really strengthened Encad, maybe this will actually be a great thing for Creo, not it's demise.

Post Feb 11, 2005 4:02 am 

Forum Jump:
Jump to:  

Page 1 of 1

Forum Rules:
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

Last Thread | Next Thread  >
Powered By Software-Robotics.Com

© phpbb group

Prepress Forums Topic: Upgrading to CTP Metal - Seeking Advice Please!!
PostComputer To Plate Forum   Graphic Design Subject: Upgrading to CTP Metal - Seeking Advice Please!!
Hi Tony, Please take a closer look at the workflow. We are actually as open as anyone else. As rip centric, we use MetaDimension. Meta using Adobe CPSI as it's core interpreter. We have a entry le ...
  Prepress Forums Topic: Prepress Software Free, Quark Xpress 6-7, Quark Xtensions
PostWebMaster's Graphic Design Forum   Graphic Design Subject: Prepress Software Free, Quark Xpress 6-7, Quark Xtensions
New Xtension, More Free Prepress Software Quark Xpress 6-7 Hello all, as you know I have released [url=http://free-preflight.com/]FreeFlight™ preflight software for preflight of placed image files ...
  Prepress Forums Topic: New Xtension, More Free Prepress Software Quark Xpress 6-7
PostFreeFlight™, FREE Preflight Software   Graphic Design Subject: New Xtension, More Free Prepress Software Quark Xpress 6-7
New Xtension, More Free Prepress Software Quark Xpress 6-7 Hello all, as you know I have released FreeFlight™ preflight software for preflight of placed image files like Tiff, Jpeg, EPS, PS, and PD ...
  Prepress Forums Topic: New Xtension, More Free Prepress Software Quark Xpress 6-7
PostComputer To Plate Forum   Graphic Design Subject: New Xtension, More Free Prepress Software Quark Xpress 6-7
New Xtension, More Free Prepress Software Quark Xpress 6-7 Hello all, as you know I have released FreeFlight™ preflight software for preflight of placed image files like Tiff, Jpeg, EPS, PS, and PD ...
  Prepress Forums Topic: Help on making decission - Buying a first CTP
PostComputer To Plate Forum   Graphic Design Subject: Re: RE: Help on making decission - Buying a first CTP
Just because I run the forum I don't want to stifle any opinions and expression. Debate is cool with me and I welcome all to say what they will. I don't take any money from any of the ma ...
PostPDF-X-Robot™ prepress software   Graphic Design Subject: New Xtension, More Free Prepress Software Quark Xpress 6-7
New Xtension, More Free Prepress Software Quark Xpress 6-7 Hello all, as you know I have released [url=http://free-preflight.com/]FreeFlight™ preflight software for preflight of placed image files ...
  Prepress Forums Topic: how to create a CTP file from artwork ?
PostWebMaster's Graphic Design Forum   Graphic Design Subject: Re: how to create a CTP file from artwork ?
Your question was about film to CTP workflow. Is your RIP setup to output to CTP? Do you layout pages in an imposition software like Kodak Preps? Hi, good day everyone.. My name is elle and i ...
  Prepress Forums Topic: PDF-X-Robot with Quark 6.5 and Quark 7 on same machine?
PostPDF-X-Robot™ prepress software   Graphic Design Subject: We use many verions of most aps
It's more important to some docs to remain in the same ap version. Plus clients often want the docs back after we rework them. Illustrator is not a problem. We save back if needed. Quark is often ...
  Prepress Forums Topic: BassysPrint UV setter 741
PostComputer To Plate Forum   Graphic Design Subject: BassysPrint UV setter 741
Our dealer is offering a reconditioned BassysPrint UV setter 741 for US$222450.
I am sure some may have experienced this product. This is our first machine and we would like to know the pros and cone ...
  Prepress Forums Topic: Prepress RIP MetaDimension, Signastation, Apogee, Kodak/Creo
PostComputer To Plate Forum   Graphic Design Subject: Prepress RIP MetaDimension, Signastation, Apogee, Kodak/Creo
hi! dex, Here's additional info, you can add Printready to your existing workflow, in this way you can manage and organize all your clients with their specific jobs, and with the new version Signa, ...
  Prepress Forums Topic: Indesign eps to Illustrator
PostMac OS X software forum   Graphic Design Subject: Indesign eps to illustrator
Thanks for that. I seem to have solved the problem by selecting all the links in InDesign, copying them and pasting them into Illustrator. A bit odd but it works.
  Prepress Forums Topic: Indesign eps to Illustrator
PostMac OS X software forum   Graphic Design Subject: Indesign eps to Illustrator
Your problem seems like transparency or drop shadow issues. You can try export pdf from Indesign as Acrobat 1.6 or above without flatten transparency. Then place the PDF in Illustrator. I think that c ...
PostComputer To Plate Forum   Graphic Design Subject: Upgrading to CTP Metal - Seeking Advice Please!!
Hi Tony, I do not know what type of jobs u do but in my opinion the Thermal CTP is a better choice than the Violet CTP. You could find many comparison in the web. Violet CTP's are mainly used in ...
  Prepress Forums Topic: Merging layers Quark 6-7 and Nexus
PostComputer To Plate Forum   Graphic Design Subject: Merging layers Quark 6-7 and Nexus
Hi everyone, My specialty is plating and, as some of you may know, I am in charge of researching for a CTP system for our company. The problem with getting management on board is the front end and w ...
hi tony, i work at a small bureau in sydney and we put in an a1 fuji luxel violet ctp this time last year and so far we have had only one service call in a year to fix a minor problem with the process ...